July 1, 2016
Sewickley Public Library of the Quaker Valley School District
Head of the Children’s Department
The Sewickley Public Library of the Quaker Valley School District is seeking a full time Head of Children’s Library Services who is an energetic, innovative and enthusiastic leader. This position supervises and schedules four part-time children’s librarians and works in conjunction with the Circulation Supervisor overseeing the clerical staff and volunteers. The library is open seven days a week. The position may include evening and weekend hours.
The Children’s Department offers dynamic internal and external programming and services to all children including those with special needs. Collaborative events and programming with the Teen and Adult Departments, the Quaker Valley School District and other organizations in our region that promote family literacy and educational experiences are expected. The Children’s Department staff seeks to enable children from infant through fifth grade to become passionate listeners and readers, curious and proficient researchers, creative thinkers and adept users of technology.
The new Children’s Library Department Head will have the flexibility to implement a new vision and program in the Children’s Department at SPL.
- Requires a strong commitment to public service including reader’s guidance and reference services
- Develops and implement children’s story times and additional programming
- Collection development
- Budgeting and reporting
- Coordinates outreach programs
- Promotes children’s services and resources in schools and is capable of building community partnerships
- Develops and maintains content for social media platforms and marketing
- Recruits and manages of children’s librarians, library assistants and volunteers
- Three years of children’s library experience and supervisory experience
- Experience working with children
- Excellent oral, written and customer service skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, databases and the internet
- Love of children and their caregivers is essential
- PA State Police Criminal record check, PA Child Abuse History clearance and the FBI fingerprint based record check are required to begin work
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
This job requires the ability to sit, stand, or walk for significant periods of time. The employee must be able to lean down, reach up, use a step stool, lift 20lbs, move a book cart on wheels, carry a stack of books, and perform other related movements or actions.
Applications will be accepted until the appropriate candidate has been identified. Interviews begin July 25, 2016. The beginning salary range is $35,000 – $40,000 depending on experience. The benefits package includes generous vacation/sick pay, medical, dental, vision, life insurance and TIAA Cref pension plan opportunities.
Please email a letter of interest, your resume and references to:
Carolyn Toth, Director
Sewickley Public Library
500 Thorn Street
Sewickley, PA 15143
Sewickley Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer