You may have seen some new symbols throughout the Sewickley Public Library lately – on flyers, on program information and on our website. That’s because SPL supports the Pennsylvania Library Association’s 21st Century Literacies Initiative, PA Forward.
Libraries have moved far beyond just being book repositories. They’re adaptive institutions serving real-life needs. PA Forward was conceived to give voice to what the library community already knows, and what other states throughout the nation are also recognizing:
Libraries are the key to powering progress and elevating the quality of life in Pennsylvania by fueling the types of knowledge essential to success: Basic Literacy, Information Literacy, Civic and Social Literacy, Health Literacy, and Financial Literacy.
1. Basic Literacy – Libraries can push Pennsylvania to achieve one of the highest literacyrates in the country, a better trained and more skilled workforce, and a growing tax base,
economy, and population.
2. Information Literacy – Libraries can help all Pennsylvanians learn how to use online
resources and current technology to improve their education, to enhance their job skills,
and to participate fully in a digital society.
3. Civic and Social Literacy – Libraries can give citizens of all ages the knowledge and
skills they need to improve their lives, to contribute effectively in their communities, and
to participate in civil discourse.
4. Health Literacy – Libraries can play an important role in helping citizens actively
manage their own and their family’s well-being, making them effective partners with
their health care providers and reducing costs.
5. Financial Literacy – Libraries can help citizens become informed consumers and guide
individuals, small businesses, and other organizations to contribute to the economic
vitality of their communities.
You may see logos throughout the library identifying which of these literacies our programs aim to promote. These logos can help library users find programs that may help them with certain specialties. Being part of the PA Foward initiative by becoming a PA Forward Star Library is another way the Sewickley Public Library strives to offer quality programs that can enhance the lives of members in our community.